Tuesday, January 24, 2006

THESE ARE THE GOOD OLD DAYS

THESE ARE THE GOOD OLD DAYS: AGING, OPENESS AND PERSONALITY

At what age does thinking become “painful”? I don’t remember the experience of pain when learning new things as a child, but it sure is harder now. The metaphor typically used to describe this is that patterns are literally carved in our brains, like channels that grow ever deep, until it is too late to go a different route. “Stuck in our ways” is the expression we use.

An article published in Psychology Today in 2003 stated that according to Berkeley Professors Srivastava and John, “Personality is not set in stone by age 30…but continues to change throughout one's lifetime. Five major personality traits -- conscientiousness, agreeableness, neuroticism, openness and extraversion -- continue to evolve as people age.”

This would appear to be hopeful news, however, note they said “continues to change” not “continues to improve”. Specifically, the change in the trait of openness is for the worse, finding “a gradual decline in openness as subjects aged”.

This metaphor (of channels carved into the brain) surfaces again in discussions about depression. In Listening to Prozac I was frightened into believing that every bout of depression made the channel deeper and that taking an anti-depressant would actually prevent this from happening. It was over a year later that I learned this was a metaphor not based on biology or brain research.

Yet we all know (without reading a psychology article) that older people seem to get set in their ways, more resistant to change, aren’t exactly open to learning about “new-fangled” things.

TANGENT: I find it ever fascinating that there is this human tendency to believe the music they loved as an adolescent was the only good true music and that contemporary music is crap.

TANGENT: Anyone who uses a word to mean “the latest” takes a risk that that word will expire when a new “latest” comes out. Thus phrases like “the new-new thing” which is apparently newer than just plain old “new”. Music history of this century falls into this trap, where “classic rock” was used to mean enduring, at one moment mapping to the music of the 50’s but then switching to the 60’s, the 50’s became “Oldies”, The 70’s were “today’s music” which now are “classics”. Making the 50’s “Nostalgia” and the 60’s & 70’s “classics”, but now the 00’s are “today’s music” and now what? And how did “Adult Contemporary” come to be synonymous with “not rap music”? and “Modern Adult Contemporary” to mean “regular adult contemporary plus “alternative” rock”. What will be the alternative of alternative? New alternative?

TANGENT: This brings me back to Tom Wolffe’s “The Painted Word” discussion of the art world again. Modern (late 1900’s to the 1970’s), Post Modern (presumably after the 70’s), and the art of today “Contemporary”. I don’t think anybody had the nerve to risk “Post-Contemporary”

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like your comment that people always think that the music of their teenage years was the best, and current music is all crap. What's funny is that many people have been exposed to this idea, see the obvious evidence that it's true, but continue to persist in the illusion that their personal teenage music really was special somehow. It's like people have a natural immune system against catching a new meme.

Anonymous said...

I concur about the phenomenon both Pasha and jim g. shared. I don't think I necessarily fall under that spell. However, to share my tangent...

During the Super Bowl I couldn't help but hear the stadium sound system playing "Detroit Rock City" by Kiss over and over again. I'm a child of the 70s so Kiss is part of the soundtrack of my youth. But I haven't fooled myself into thinking that Kiss anthems are, somehow, musical masterpieces.

I found myself reflecting on this during the game. I know the game was held in Detroit but I can think of a lot of other music that could "represent" for Detroit other than Kiss' Detroit Rock City. I finally surmised that it was likely that the sound/entertainment team was probably made up of some folks similar in age (and culture) to me, and thus they played the music of their teenage years (which consciously or unconsciously they considered "the best"). It was surprising but predictable. Similar observations could probably drawn from having the Rolling Stones perform at halftime. As Mick Jagger said prior to launching into "Satisfaction," that was a song they could have sang at Super Bowl I, 40 years earlier!

Anyways, I must confess that despite not falling prey to thinking "It's about time Kiss got their due respect," I did find myself ruing the possibility 30 years from now of having a sound/entertainment team arranging for a 60-year-old 50 Cent to play the halftime show of Super Bowl LXX.