Sunday, January 15, 2006

THE COLOR OF SOUND

THE COLOR OF SOUND: RAINBOW BRAIN CHEMISTRY Can you see that sound? People who have blending of the senses (a rare condition called "synesthesia"), find that a stimulus, such as sound, creates a reaction in another sense, as well as the expected sense. Synesthesia is thought to occur in just 1 per cent of all adults. I first heard about it on NPR in a Morning Edition story: "For Pianist, Music Unleashes Rainbows of Color" Here's where brain chemistry comes in...According to Wikipedia, "Synaesthesia is a common effect of some hallucinogenic drugs such as LSD or mescaline".

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have a (related?) condition. When I go out into bright sunlight, I will always sneeze. I guess I should call it sunwillsneezeya :-).

Anonymous said...

Blog: The Tangent
Post: FLYING AND THE SNEEZE REFLEX
Link:
http://braintangents.blogspot.com/2006/01/flying-and-sneeze-reflex.html