Wednesday, February 15, 2006

MODERN LOVE

Okay, I’ll break down and plug another blog. It’s MoCo Loco, a zine about design. I could spend all day there, in fact…I MAY spend all day there. I’ll give you a couple of drilldowns, but you have to check it out yourself. On their site I found these really cool cardboard tables; really funny canopy bed; and the most bitchin’ wave chaise. Seriously, I am a kid in a candy store. They have plastic pipe furniture, wedge sofas, this fantastical “twist” table. Sigh. I’ll stop soon, but first let me just insert one teaser-picture: It’s really just a blog, so I found the site hard to navigate, but once I started browsing I couldn’t stop. It is way more fun that the stores on La Brea because you can absorb so much in such a short time. These are prototypes, designs, dreams, realities…plastic blobs, an “unconformist bookcase”. There is even an “extendable table that uses two wing-type extensions that 'lift' symmetrically creating room to comfortably seat six people”. On these pages MUST be the new Nelsons, Parsons, van de Roes. TANGENT: Speaking of modern furniture have a I mentioned my chair (knock-off Barcelona), my coffee table (original “Boom”), my red lockers (vintage IKEA) or my artwork lately?

And speaking of Modern Furniture... TANGENT: Here's a quote from one of my favorite movies, Fight Club: ‘You're young. You have an easy, well-paid desk job. You have a condo, Swedish furniture, artistic coffee tables and a fridge full of condiments. Yet you feel emotionally and spiritually empty. …Then you meet Tyler Durden, a man that shows you that not only can you live without material needs but that self-destruction, the collapse of society and making dynamite from soap might not be such a bad idea either.”

To read my full essay on Fight Club: http://www.cuteghosties.com/Reviews/default.htm

No comments: